Monday 17 December 2012

Tamarind chutney (for Chaats)

'Chaats' is my weak point. I can indulge in 'bhel', 'shev puri', 'pani puris' anytime of the day! I remember during my college days my mom used to make this tamarind chutney and store it in fridge so that me and my twin could indulge in bhel anytime. Even today if you ever happen to open my deep freeze you will see the tamarind paste/sauce/chutney there!!
The main ingredient that is needed for any 'chaat' dish is the 'khatta-meetha' tamarind chutney/paste/sauce. It can be stored in an airtight container for over 3-4 months. 
Ingredients
1/2 kg seedless tamarind
1/4 kg jaggery (crushed)
2 tbs cumin powder (freshly crushed jeera is best option)
1 1/2 tbs coriander seeds powder
1 1/2 tbs red chilli powder
Dates 8-10 (seedless)
salt as per taste (black salt preferred)
Water as required to make the chuteny

Method
  1. Make sure the tamarind is a seedless one. Soak the tamarind in 2 cups boiling water for 3-4 hours. After which grind it to a paste. Strain the tamarind pulp in a large vessel. 
  2. Add more 2 cups of water and start boiling this pulp. Add all the dry ingredients listed above. Bring the chutney to a boil. See to it that the dates and jaggery have melted completely after boiling. Let it cool down completely.
  3. Store it in an air tight container and use in all kinds of chaat items, samosas, dahi vadas etc


No comments:

Post a Comment